Geneweb for SME Server 7.x
Geneweb is a genealogy software program with a Web interface. It can be used off-line or in a Web environment. It uses very efficient techniques of relationship and consanguinity computing, developed in collaboration with Didier Rémy, research Director at INRIA.
GeneWeb's strong points are the following:
- Web interface
- Dynamic display
- Relationship and consanguinity computing
- Spelling correction
- Nobility titles
- Information update and protection
- Customization (background color, etc)
- Miscellaneous Features: birthdays, last births, etc.
- An example: more than 100,000 persons
- Import and export of GEDCOM files
- The following steps install two packages, namely:
- The first RPM- geneweb-5.01-*.el4.sme.i386.rpm is the latest Geneweb build (5.01) compiled for SME 7.
- The second - smeserver-geneweb-2.0-*.el4.sme.noarch.rpm integrates Geneweb into SME 7. It includes a server-manager panel to configure the IP assigned to the client machine from which Geneweb is allowed to be administered.
The following command will install all of the required packages for you.
yum --enablerepo=smecontribs install geneweb smeserver-geneweb
For SME8 if the above does not work then please refer to SME8.0_Contribs_QA#Setup. If it does work then this line can be removed as the contrib has been migrated to the SME8 repo.
rpm -e smeserver-geneweb geneweb
Start the service
Once installed you have a service installed called 'gwd'
enable the service:
/etc/rc.d/init.d/gwd start Starting GeneWeb Services: GeneWeb 5.00 - Copyright (c) 1998-2007 INRIA To start, open location http://localhost:2316/
Adding a db entry to start service at reboot
Based on http://bugs.contribs.org/show_bug.cgi?id=6371 additional commands are required to create a db entry for the gwd service, where the rpms installed are
rpm -q smeserver-geneweb geneweb smeserver-geneweb-2.0-18.el4.sme geneweb-5.00-8.el4.sme
config set gwd service config setprop gwd status enabled signal-event post-upgrade signal-event reboot
Administrating the database.
Now browse to port 2316 to Administer the database.
- open the server-manager
- click the new Geneweb Admin under the Administration heading
- note the IP listed in 'Current assigned Geneweb 'only' IP:':
- change this IP if it is not the client IP from wish you want to administer Geneweb
- click 'Change IP and Administer'
- in the field 'New IP from which you wish to administer Geneweb:' enter the desired IP
- click 'SAVE'
From your client, go to the main site at http://yoursite:2317/database
From your desktop, go to the main documentation at http://yoursite:2317/database?m=DOC, pick your favorite language and follow the "restrictions" link.. As it stands now, anyone will be able to add to (or trash) your database once you make it available to the outside world.
Links to more Geneology and Geneweb info: